Gardening can be a great outlet for relaxation as well as a way to ensure you are eating healthier. But when you live in a small space or a metropolitan area, it may seem like something that is just not realistic.
This couldn’t be further from the truth! There are plenty of ways you can garden, for instance, raised garden beds. These tools are a godsend when you are looking to grow in areas that are not designed for cultivation.
To be able to help you choose the right one can be a bit tricky. You have to understand the factors, both in the design of the unit as well as your space, that will play a pivotal role in the selection process.
So that we could help you with that, we have created a list of some considerations that will help find the right raised garden bed for your needs. Then we used these to craft a list of five of the best raised garden beds available today.
So that you have an idea of how we chose the models below, as well as help you figure out if one of these raised garden beds is your perfect fit, here is what we looked at:
Size – The size needs to be considered because you have to have the room to place the garden bed as well as to tend it. So you will need to really keep in mind where you are looking to house the garden. You should also consider how many plants you are looking to grow.
Construction – When looking at the construction, you want to look for durable materials like wood or galvanized steel for the most part. There are some great fabric options, as well. You will want to look for options that stay away from materials that are treated with potentially harmful contaminants.
Upkeep – Lastly, you want something that is easy to maintain. Not only will this take some tasks off your plate, but it will allow you to get the most bang for your buck.
Now that you have an idea of how we came to feel these were the best of the best when it came to raised garden beds, let’s take a look at the models we have chosen!
Best Raised Garden Beds Reviews
1. Infinite Cedar 3’ x 6’ x 11” Kit
Our first entry is an all-natural design that is simple but effective. Crafted using high-quality materials, gardeners looking for a great place to grow veggies will be very happy with this option.
- Crafted in rot, weather, and insect resistant western red cedar
- Toolless assembly
- 5-year warranty
- Weight – 34 lbs.
- Half lapped, rod-reinforced corners
There is definitely a lot to love when you look at this simple raised garden bed from Infinite Cedar, starting with the wood used in the construction. This bed is crafted in western red cedar, which is a very robust wood that can stand up to just about anything. This will give the gardener peace of mind and more extended use of the bed.
The assembly is simple and requires no extra tools, which is a plus if you’re not very handy with tools. The design itself is crafted with reinforced corners that give the bed even more durability. Plus, you won’t have to worry about contaminates as the wood used doesn’t need to be finished with agents that will protect it from the elements and nature.
All of that makes this option a great investment, but some things could be an issue for some. The unit is designed with no bottom, which isn’t really a universal issue. Along with that, wood will eventually, no matter how tough it is, rot.
- Made with western red cedar for enhanced durability
- The design is reinforced at corners with rods
- Set up is easy with no tools needed
- The unit is not finished with any chemical agents
- Price versus value is good in comparison to other similar models
- Some may find the lack of a bottom a problem
- Wood products don’t last forever due to aging and rot
2. FOYUEE Planter Box
If you are looking for a mobile raised garden bed, then our next entry is the perfect one for you. The FOYUEE planter box is designed to be ergonomic, as well as to make your gardening easier.
- Size (overall) – 40.5” x 15.5” x 31.5”
- Size (planting bed) – 37.5” x 15.5” x 8”
- Soil capacity – 2.5 cubic feet
- Weight – 21.6 lbs.
- Crafted in galvanized steel
- Built-in center drainage hole
If you are not looking for a garden bed that needs a permanent home, then this hand cart style raised bed may be a good option. Crafted in galvanized steel, the cart offers not only durability but protection from corrosion as well.
Then there is the design of the unit. Not only does it give you ample storage space on the shelf under the bed, but the bed itself holds quite a bit of soil. The design is comfortable to use, and even when fully loaded, mobility is not affected. But the real star of the show is the drainage system. This system’s design keeps waterlogging and root rot from occurring, which will ensure a good crop.
Just because we have all these great things to say about the FOYUEE planter cart doesn’t mean that there are not a few areas that could be fixed to make it even better. The first is that the unit does not come with a soil liner, which could increase water loss when watering your garden. Other than that, the lack of instructions is the only other major issue we found with the unit.
- The unit is crafted with an excellent drainage system
- The design is ergonomic and improves portability
- Material used in construction is anti-rust and durable
- Bed is able to hold a lot of soil
- Wheels work well even when loaded down
- Lack of soil liner may be an issue for some
- The unit doesn’t come with any directions for assembly
3. KETER Urban Bloomer Raised Garden Bed
The next raised garden bed is a large volume unit with a wide range of features that will help improve your plants’ growth and health. Plus, it looks pretty nice doing it!
- Size (overall) – 32.3” x 14.7” x 30.7”
- Built-in water gauge
- Crafted with a watering system
- Easy to use drainage system included in the design
- UV & Weatherproofed
- Made with durable resin
- Sprouting tray included with the unit
For us, if you are looking for style and function, then the KETER Urban Bloomer is the right choice. Aesthetically it is a home run, and then when you look at the benefits you get to take advantage of by investing in this garden box, you quickly see why we chose it as one of our top picks.
This garden bed can be used both indoors and outdoors, making it a versatile choice and easy to set up and use. It is designed using a high-quality resin, which will help the bed last longer. Like the option above, where this unit really comes into its own is the drainage system. It is designed to ensure that root rot and waterlogging is limited.
All that being said, there are a few issues that some may find deal-breakers when contemplating their decision-making process. The first is although it is somewhat small, it is still larger than some of our other options. So it may not work if you’re looking to garden in a pretty tight area. The other is if it is loaded down, you may find it really heavy to move, which limits your options of placement.
- The bed is fitted with a good drainage system
- Versatile in use – both indoors and outdoors
- The unit is designed with a detachable tray
- Set up and use of the bed is simple
- Crafted with high-quality materials for improved durability
- The bed is kind of large and takes up a bit of room
- Some may find it a bit too heavy when fully loaded
4. Outland Living Tiered Planter Box
Limited space? Then the vertical raised garden bed from Outdoor Living is a great option for your gardening needs. The unit stacks five bins on a 4’ frame and is perfect for herbs, flowers, or whatever else you are looking to grow.
- 5 x 22” containers
- Bins crafted with food-grade plastic
- Size (overall) – 29” x 25” x 48”
- Size (bins) – 22” x 8” x 6”
- Frame designed with powder-coated steel
- Soil Capacity – 0.4 cubic feet
If you are really working with no space but still want to get that garden going, then a tiered planter could be the solution to your problem. This one from Outdoor Living is one of the best we found on the market. It uses a steel frame and five separate bins to allow an easy growing setup. You can set it up on the roof of your apartment or the corner of a room (as long as there is adequate light) very easily.
The model’s design uses a cascading water drainage system that is super effective at ensuring that water doesn’t pool and gets to where it needs to. Along with that, the set up is fast and the bins you use are all crafted in food-grade plastic, so you don’t have to worry about chemical contaminants.
There are a few things we would be remiss without mentioning. The first is that once you have it set up, it is extremely hard and awkward to move. So make sure you set up where you intend it to stay. Also, the steel is durable, but some people have experienced some rust problems due to the powder coating.
- Crafted with high-quality material for better stability
- Uses a cascade drainage system in its design
- Container material is contaminant-free
- The design is very comfortable and easy to use
- Assembly is quick and simple to execute
- Issues with lack of mobility of the unit
- Some have had the unit rust a little
5. Victory 8 Garden EZ-Gro 2×2 Bed
Our last entry is a fabric option that is crafted with a proprietary fabric that is designed to help improve growth and ease of use.
- Crafted with patented AeroFlow material
- Size – 2’ x 2’ x 11.5”
- Soil capacity – 4 cubic feet
- Weight – 1.04 lbs.
The last entry is a simple fabric raised garden bed, but it certainly does a great job no matter how little frills are incorporated in its design. It is manufactured in a proprietary fabric that was designed to be durable and breathable. The fabric also holds its shape fairly well, no matter how much soil is in it, thanks to its reinforced corners.
Speaking of soil, this unit may well hold the most soil of any of our options and therefore is a perfect size for a small vegetable garden. There are no special set up instructions or factors you have to watch for. It is a simple and great option for beginning gardeners.
Though we raved about the fabric, there is one major issue that we should discuss before you make your final choice. Because the fabric is so sturdy, the unit may not conform to the shape of what is in it when being watered. This may make the water pool easier and, therefore, not be as user friendly. There is also the fact that when water sets in fabric, sometimes mold occurs.
- Perfect size for a small garden of vegetables
- The unit offers a good soil capacity
- Fabric holds its shape very well
- The material used in the design is very durable and sturdy
- This bed is easy to use
- Some found watering a bit of a challenge (fabric doesn’t conform to shape)
- Have been some issue of mold
So as you see, there are plenty of ways you can set up a small garden no matter where you live. By investing in a raised garden bed, you will be able to garden in comfort. Plus, you won’t have to worry about as many weeds and you will be able to organize a whole lot easier. These are just some of the benefits the five models we chose as the best raised garden beds will bring to your gardening future. Happy growing!