In order to maintain a healthy and lush garden, there is a lot of equipment one needs. One of these pieces of equipment should be a garden sprayer. This tool is used to disperse chemicals that will kill pests and weeds and help dispense liquid fertilizers.
So as you can see, it is a super important tool that many gardeners tend to overlook. If you have begun to look for one, you are taking a step in the right direction. By now, you probably have noted the hundreds of choices you have at your fingertips. And like many, you may feel confused and lost at which one you should choose.
Because we know how you feel, we decided to dig in and do a little leg work for you. We used a list of features we think make a great garden sprayer and then found five of the best garden sprayers.
The process of narrowing the catalog down to these five was done by looking at these factors:
Upkeep – The last thing you want is a piece of equipment that takes longer to clean than it does to use. So paying attention to things like materials used and the mouth opening of the main vessel can help you choose a good option for your gardening needs.
Capacity – Tank capacity is important. If you don’t have a large garden, then you won’t need much and visa versa. So paying attention to how large the tank size could be a deterring factor.
Nozzle – You want a nozzle that gives you different spray abilities. This will allow you to get the right coverage. Another bonus is if the unit comes with multiple nozzle attachments for even more usability.
Construction – The last thing we looked at was the design and what that design was crafted in. You want a sprayer that is made of durable and long-lasting materials, so you get your money’s worth.
These features we feel are the ones that, when present, add up to a good investment. So check out the five options we chose and our reviews below.
Best Garden Sprayers Reviews
1. Chapin 20000
Our first entry is from Chapin and is a small volume weed sprayer that is perfect for the small garden. Crafted with high-quality features and a simple design, it is great for those who have never used a garden sprayer.
- Available in multiple sizes
- Translucent tank
- Able to be used with common weed control agents
- Built in-tank filter
- Spray rate – 0.4 -0.5 GPM
- Wide funnel top
- Adjustable nozzle
- Dimensions – 7.4” x 7.4” x 15”
- Weight – 1.3 lbs.
For those gardeners looking for a compact sprayer that can be used with multiple chemicals, the Chapin 20000 may well be your best bet. It is crafted with high-quality materials that give it pretty good durability. The use of this material also helps with the unit’s clean-up, which will save you time.
Everything that makes this unit such a great choice is directly linked to its simple design. If you have never used a sprayer before, then this is a great introduction, as the operation of the model is super easy. All of this combined gives you a nice compact option that is well worth the investment.
Even though it is a pretty great option for your garden sprayer, there are still some issues that could cause some to pause before choosing the 20000. The one area of the design that seems to lack a bit is the handle. Though it is comfortable, some have found the use a little cumbersome with both hands in use. There is also an issue with the twist and lock system as it doesn’t work as efficiently as other models available.
- Crafted with strong materials for improved durability
- The unit is designed well and delivers a good level of functionality
- Tank is super easy to keep clean and tidy
- Perfect size for home weed control
- Simple design makes it easy to use
- Issues with the design of the unit’s handle
- The lock and twist system is as smooth as we would like
2. ITISLL 719NB4
Our next garden sprayer is a portable option that comes designed with tons of features that can be used to make your job more efficient and easier.
- Comes in multiple sizes
- Premium grade adjustable brass nozzle
- 50” hose & 19” stick
- Locking handle trigger
- Transparent bottle
- Pressure safety valve (2.5- 3 bar)
- Largemouth opening
- Comes with spare parts & shoulder strap
There is a lot to love about this garden sprayer from ITISLL. Starting with the durable yet affordable choice of using a high-quality PE to craft the canister, to the inclusion of a pressure monitoring system, this sprayer is fantastic.
Then, when it comes to the design, you see the components and features elevate the model’s functionality and performance.
Some of the components we are talking about, of course, are the pressure mentoring system we have already mentioned. This system includes a safety valve that watches for the pressure to climb up to 3 bars of pressure. This is a great safety measure that all sprayers do well. Along with all that, you get a hose that is more than 2 feet long, which gives a little more reach.
Now that being said, there are a few things that we feel could stand to be redesigned to improve the quality of this unit. The first is the PE used in the tank’s construction does not work well with chemicals of an acid-base. This might be a problem and limits the use of the unit. There have also been some reports of leakage.
- The unit comes with a built-in safety valve
- String pressure bar improves performance
- Designed to be easy and comfortable to use
- Crafted with high-quality PE material
- Comes with a 2-foot hose
- The unit is not compatible with acid chemicals
- Some issues with leakage have been reported
3. VIVOSUN Pressure Sprayer
The next garden sprayer we will be looking at is a small unit that comes from VIVOSUN. It is a pressure sprayer that is fitted with attributes that make it more comfortable to use for long projects.
- Comes in multiple tank sizes
- Large bowl mouth
- Translucent bottle
- 56.5 cm long wand w/ adjustable nozzle
- Sturdy adjustable shoulder strap
- Designed with a comfort handle
- 1-year warranty
- Built-in handle safety lock
- Weight – 2.6 lbs.
When you look at this pressure sprayer from VIVOSUN, it is very clear why we chose this unit as one of the best available. The design of this sprayer is crafted for enhanced usability and comfort. The open mouth of the tank makes it both easy to fill and clean, which helps speed the task along. The bottle itself is translucent, and that helps the user ensure they are filling it up to just the right level.
The design is also good for stability. The tank is made with a wider bottom to help prevent the unit from tipping over. The wand that comes with the unit is long enough to give you a good reach, and the handle is fitted with a shut-off valve that is easy to use. This all lends itself to a sprayer that just might be the perfect option for you and your gardening needs.
There are some issues that we would be remiss without mentioning. The first is that the unit is operated by a battery, which brings other hurdles to the sprayer’s operation. The size of the tank is sort of small as well in comparison to other sprayers on the market.
- The sprayer is super easy to fill and use
- Unit comes with a translucent bottle and calibration scale
- The wand gives a good amount of reach
- The handle is fitted with a shut-off valve for convenience
- Design of the main compartment improves stability
- Battery operated system may not be as reliable as others
- Doesn’t have a large tank capacity
4. D.B. Smith 190285
Our next entry is a lightweight 1-gallon sprayer that can be used with multiple chemicals. This gives it a versatility for use that stands out, which is why we chose it as one of our options on this list.
- Simple one-step assembly
- Compatible with harsh chemicals
- Easy access shut off valve
- Replaceable seals and gaskets
- Comes with an adjustable nozzle
- Weight – 1 lb.
Of all of the units we are looking at, this is the smallest option. Even though it is small, it still has many great features that make it a viable option for your gardening needs. It is lightweight yet durable, which helps with both the life of the unit as well as the comfortability of use.
The material used in the design of the sprayer also gives it an easy maintenance schedule and can be cleaned with little to no work. Along with these great attributes, the sprayer comes with an adjustable nozzle. The construction and benefits that you get from this option make it a choice that gives you a lot for the money you spend on it.
However, there are some issues though that detract from all of the fantastic features. The first thing is that it is not equipped with a pressure valve. This will limit the control over the flow and may lead to using up the content too quickly. That, along with the shorter dispersal range, may limit the usability of the model.
- The unit is designed with lightweight materials
- Price versus value is competitive with other models
- The sprayer is made of thick and durable plastic
- The material and design makes it easy to clean
- Crafted with a built-in adjustable spray nozzle
- Lack of a pressure valve could be a problem
- The distance of spray is not as far as other models
5. D.B. Smith Field King 190328
This last entry is a professional grade option that is back-mounted for more comfortable usability. The Field King offers design features that reduce leaks and give you a stellar level of performance.
- Internal piston pump (up to 150 PSI)
- 21” poly wand w/ adjustable nozzle
- Fitted with Viton seals
- Built-in in-line filter
- Comes with multiple nozzles
- Agitator crafted into the handle
- Designed with a wand storage clip
- Weight – 12.8 lbs.
This is by far the most professional of the options we are looking at. Even though it is designed for professional use, it is still a good home gardening option for those that are dealing with a large garden. It is crafted with features like an in-line filter and an internal pump that can be safely used for a multitude of chemicals.
It is a versatile unit. With the purchase of the unit, you get multiple nozzles that will allow for use with different applications. The materials and design also allow for pretty easy upkeep and maintenance.
There are some drawbacks, though, even with a professional model like the Field King. The internal pump is very powerful, and because of the pressure, there have been some reports of leakages caused by pressure explosions. But perhaps the biggest detractor is the price that this unit comes with. Some may feel that it is a bit steep.
- The internal pump is designed for safer use with chemicals
- Wand crafted with high-quality material for better durability
- Designed with an in-line filter for pure water
- Maintenance of the model is easy to maintain
- Comes with multiple nozzles for better versatility
- The unit may be a little pricey for some
- Issues with the pump causing leaks
Having a good garden sprayer can give you the ability to perform multiple tasks that will ensure that your garden stays healthy and pretty. Things like getting rid of those pesky weeds and giving your soil a little extra boost with some fertilizer can mean the difference between a thriving garden and one that looks like it needs some serious help.
The sprayers we have chosen range in size and capability. We have tried to make sure that there was something for everyone. Hopefully, we have done this, and you have found the right sprayer for your garden.